COIVD-19: As the City of Baltimore has deemed it safe for houses of worship to gather at no more than 50% capacity, we are re-evaluating our re-entry plan to resume in-person worship in the coming weeks with necessary safety precautions still in place.

We've come this far by faith

legacy

Whatcoat

Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church was one of the four Missions of the Orchard Street Church according to the minutes of the Washington Conference of 1899.

The Mission was organized December 10, 1889. The mission began as a Sunday School fulfilling a need for neighborhood youths to have a place to congregate and worship. While our church records do not identify explicitly the earliest locations, there is some evidence from Conference records and verbal histories that the church began in a rented house in the 1000 block of North Vincent Street. The need for more space led to the purchase of a building in the 1100 block of Whatcoat Street.

In 1903, "Whatcoat" became a station with its own minister, Min. William C. Brown. The station moved to its new home on Pine and Franklin Streets. The church stood atop a hill: for this reason it was sometimes referred to as "King's Hill". Records give evidence that the church which previously house Chatsworth Methodist Church, South was purchased for $10,000 in 1904 (3 lots including parsonage).

In 1950, Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church, moved to a new location at Madison and North Avenues.

In March 1950, the old Whatcoat Church was leased to Mt. Hope Baptist Church for one year. In July, 1950, the African Union First Colored Methodist Protestant Church, Inc. of the State of Delaware purchased the property at Pin and Franklin Streets. The church was later demolished to make way for the Franklin Street Expressway.

Mrs. Mary Rucker and her husband John, were responsible for securing and storing the cornerstone of Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church. In December 1979, Mrs. Rucker was awarded a certificate of appreciation from Union Memorial United Methodist Church for salvaging the cornerstone. The pastor at this time was Rev. Leslie A. Dyson.

This cornerstone stands as a symbol of our spiritual roots--a testimony of the faith, visions, loyalty and determination of former congregations--a challenge to this and future generations.

 

Rev. W.C. Tongue

Father of Whatcoat Church

 

First Altar Boys with Rev. Carrington

(l-r Carl Weber, James Brown and Rev. N.B. Carrington)

 

Rev. Carrington in his own words

Carrington had a vision for Union as it was in its early days as a faith community

 

Pink Rose Circle

circa 1940s

 

Union Memorial Membership

1953 List of Members and Officers

 

Nurses Unit with Rev. McGowan

circa 1967

 

Board of Trustees

 

3F Unit

circa 1950s

 

Original Gospel Choir

 

Women's Day Souvenir Programs

Women's Day through the years 1956, 1967 and 1971

 

Men's Day Souvenir Program

Men's Day through the years 1975, 1980 and 1990

 

Female Usher Board

 

Male Chorus

 

Proclamation from Baltimore Mayor William Donald Schaefer

In honor of Union's 95th Anniversary

 

Baltimore City Council Resolution

In honor of Union's 100th Anniversary